Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Saturday March 12 Another memorable day

Some highlights: Excellent breakfast of scrambled eggs with onions, fried potatoes and plaintains, again cooked and delivered by Wagner’s wife Miele and beautifully served and presented. 
Wag is off to Les Cayes for more supplies, and I set about cleaning house, moving and compacting the donations stuff, sweep out the room, rearrange the mats, try to figure out why the simple gravity feed pipe from the cistern on the roof of the new bathroom to the toilet, a distance of six feet with only two elbows and seemingly no way to not work, is failing to deliver water to the toilet.
It is a glorious sunny day, all blue sky and heating up. I roll out my land rug/yoga mat on the front lawn and stretch of few poses for a while, not a full set of 26 postures,  but an easy 30 minutes of floor postures, which leave me sweating and almost exhausted in the hot sun.
Samuel and Karma come by and we head for Jackson’s room over by the well and power generating building for the Port Morgan Hotel. As he works for the hotel, Jackson is given a small room with electricity that has a small fridge where all of our remaining food that needs to be kept cool is stored. On the way we pass what looks like a large fire pit made of stone, about 12 feet in diameter 2 feet high walls, a neatly made new looking large round fire pit with wooden benches all around, and  well made roof over the whole thing. I think, “how interesting, why would they have a roof over their community sing along fire pit?” I ask what it is. The reply: The cock fighting arena. Cock fights are on Sundays at 11 am. 
It is too hot and I am too tired for the long trek up to the Port Morgan or Dr. Lambert’s to use the internet, so you all will have to wait to read my many wise and witty words. I hope you can survive the delay and will forgive me. 
Early evening and Wagner fires up the little 950 watt 2 cycle generator so he and his family can watch TV or a video, and so we can all charge our cell phone batteries and computers. I also plug in the charger for my Lithium Ion batteries that power the circular saw, drill and lantern. After a little while we smell smoke and I turn on the light and the LiOn battery charger is smoking like a locomotive or a chimney, huge plumes of foul smelling black smoke. I yell something profane and run over and unplug it hoping I have caught it in time before the transformer is completely fried. Another misplaced assumptuion on my part. We check the line voltage coming through the cord from the generator and it is fluctuating between 190 and 196 volts, a bit much for a 120 volt maximum transformer and battery charger. Fortunatly both computers and the cell phone chargers will accept anything from 110 to 240 volts, they don’t care, so they are all fine. Only letting it cool off and trying it tomorrow on the 120 volt circuits over at the Port Morgan Hotel where we plan to go for breakfast will determine if it is fried or still works.

No comments:

Post a Comment